There are many ways to practical use of sawdust in the garden. Take into account the peculiarities of using sawdust to increase crop yields, improve the quality of soil and soil, organize garden paths, regulate soil acidity, fight weeds.
Properties of sawdust
Wood chips after wood processing is an excellent material that you can use in many areas of country life. Depending on the humidity, sawdust can be used in the garden, in everyday life, to improve the landscape.
Sawdust material is ground wood containing a large amount of nutrients for plants. Chip sizes depend on the equipment with which the trees are processed. Large sawdust is formed as a result of planing and woodworking on machine tools. Small particles are obtained after cutting trees, cutting wood, drilling, grinding.
Fresh sawdust has a moisture content of more than 15% and a density of 300 to 580 kg / cu. m. Dry sawdust is characterized by a moisture content of 8 to 14% and its density is from 220 to 400 kg / cu. m
On a large scale, sawdust material is used as a fuel for burning, as a raw material for the production of fuel briquettes, for the production of chipboard and other building materials. Sawdust is an affordable and practical material for use in the economy.
Where can I use sawdust in the garden
Gardeners with experience use wood shavings at the cottage in many areas, depending on the properties of sawdust, its moisture, the type of wood from which it is produced.
Use sawdust at the dacha for the following purposes:
- to improve the structure of the soil substrate. Mixing the ground with small or medium-sized shavings makes the soil loose, which improves its supply with oxygen and improves water permeability. After adding material to the garden, plantings will not need frequent loosening;
- to retain moisture. Adding sawdust to the beds during digging will help to keep water in the substrate longer. Chip material absorbs excess fluid and gradually evaporates it. The root system of crops will be able to get moisture in the lower layers from moist wooden particles;
- for weed control. Pour sawdust at least 5 cm high between rows and furrows to prevent weed germination. A dense coating of small or coarse chips serves as a powerful obstacle for plants. Sprinkle bed material with strawberries, planting with root vegetables (carrots, beets, radishes, radishes, etc.) around berry bushes. Around the shrub useful culture leave space with a diameter of 30-40 cm, in order to fully care for the seedling;
- to save the aboveground crop. Protect crops that form berries or fruits close to the ground. A layer of sawdust poured under bushes of zucchini, strawberries, cucumbers, tomatoes, etc., will exclude contact with the ground, pollution, defeat by caterpillars, infection with a number of fungal diseases;
- insulation of plants. Before frost, pour berry bushes, tuberous crops, rhizomes of trees and shrubs with sawdust. Shredded wood will reliably protect the planting during the winter;
- as a top dressing. During the autumn digging of beds, add 1 bucket of rotted sawdust to each square meter. In the fertilized area will give friendly shoots and a rich harvest of culture, preferring acidified soil;
- for raising beds. Raise located in the lowlands of the ridge or garden with a high level of groundwater. Dig trenches with a depth of 20-30 cm, cover the bottom with old straw, mown hay, fallen leaves. Top with chopped wood chips. Place garden land on top. Organize the sides of boards, slate, metal, fiberboard or chipboard. The sawdust substrate will not only absorb excess water but will also give off heat when overheated with other organic matter, forming a nutrient medium for plants;
- as a component of compost. Add to the compost pile together with cow dung, foliage, grass mowing sawdust, so that after repentance you can get multifunctional nutrient fertilizers for greenhouses and ridges. Cover the layers of organic matter with a durable covering material and spill it abundantly with water every week;
- to retain moisture. Sawdust mixed with ash or urea, piled between the beds and rows of crops effectively retains water and eliminates evaporation from the soil;
- as mulch. Mulching of berry bushes, tuber flowers or other crops using opilka reliably protects the root system from freezing, damage by pests, soil from erosion and wind erosion. Use shavings for plants that prefer the increased acidity of the soil.
Do not use sawdust in beds if there is little nitrogen in the soil. Adding material to the soil reduces the nitrogen component. Mix shavings with wood ash, urea, or chalk lime. It neutralizes acidic chemical reactions.
Fresh or rotted sawdust is a great organic material that should be used wisely. Consider the high content of pulp and lignin in chips, which increases the acidity of the soil. Add sawdust fertilizer as a fertilizer or for loosening in the fall. Supplement before planting will be depressing. During the period of vigorous growth of seedlings, crops need nitrogen, which woody sawdust pulls out of the soil substrate.
Use sawdust in the home and on the site
Wood shavings after woodworking and cutting can be used for the implementation of landscape projects in everyday life. Use dried and fresh material for different purposes.
At the cottage, you can use sawdust material in:
- organization of garden paths. Wake the paths with a thick layer of 7-10 cm thick sawdust or small chips, tamp the embankment. Moving along the sawdust trail will be safe, eliminating the separation of dirt. Woody material will inhibit weed growth and absorb excess water;
- for icing during icing. Sprinkle iced walkways and driveways with chopped wood material. Topping creates a good grip on slippery surfaces;
- for the germination of seed. Immerse the treated seeds in a moistened sawdust substrate, watch for constant humidity, put a hotbed covered with polyethylene in a warm, well-lit place. When spitting from the seeds of the seedlings, transplant to the soil;
- for growing potatoes of early varieties.Before planting germinated tubers in the garden, place on abundantly moistened sawdust, laid at least 10 cm in layer, cover the planting material with 3 cm of wood shavings. Regularly water the tank, waiting for the growth of sprouts by 7-8 cm. After germinating the potatoes, land on the ridges and cover with plastic wrap. Summer residents with experience using this method, note the early yield;
- for storage of root crops. In the basement or in the cellar, put the boxes with dried sawdust, where put the carrots, potatoes, beets, radishes. Chopped wood will absorb the excess moisture of the room and vegetables will remain well until spring;
- floor and ceiling insulation. Put dry sawdust on the rough flooring and in the attic. You can make a batch of clay and small wood shavings to create a tight fireproof protection against heat loss from the room;
- plastering walls. Knead cement mortar brand M100-M150 with fine sawdust and apply on vertical surfaces. The structure can be used both for internal, and for external works;
- as a bedding layer for animals. Pour dry sawdust in the stable, stall, on the pasture. The material not only absorbs liquid waste, but also turns into a nutrient fertilizer;
- for smoking fish, meat. Chips after sawdust of alder or fruit trees when heated and smoldering emit fragrant smoke without tar, which gives the smoked dish an exquisite taste;
- for children's creativity. Paint the sawdust of different sizes in gouache or watercolor solution in different colors, dry the raw materials. Apply glue on cardboard or plywood and sculpt applications with children;
- for stuffing furniture or garden figures. Use dry sawdust as filler for mattresses, stuffed animals, cushions;
- as a fragrance for wardrobe. Sawdust material softwood or juniper put in a linen bag and place on the shelves. The high content of essential oils will spread the fragrance and scare away the mole.
Use sawdust material in different dacha areas to improve crop production, increase yields, and organize order on the site. Given the characteristics of the composition and with the right approach, you can use sawdust both at home and in the garden.