Bacterial mottling is often found on open ground and very rarely in closed soil. The pathogenic bacterium Pseudomonas syringae provokes the disease. Fortunately, with the timely detection of the disease, it can be cured.
Symptoms and causes of infection
Affects bacterial disease leaves and fruits of tomatoes. The disease begins with the appearance of small oily spots on the leaf plates. Their diameter does not exceed 2 millimeters. After some time, barely visible spots of olive color become dark brown. If you do not treat tomatoes, mottling will grow throughout the foliage plate. After that, the leaves begin to curl, die off and fall off. Fruits are stained only at the extreme stage of the disease.
Causes and favorable conditions for the development of bacterial mottle:
- the causative agent of the disease can penetrate through wounds on the leaves, cracks on the stems, shoots, through the root system;
- develops with high humidity and a sharp decrease in temperature;
- infected seed, a very common cause of disease manifestation;
- the transfer of insect pathogen from diseased plants.
Treatment and Prevention
To treat tomatoes is necessary at the first manifestations of the disease. Best cope with the disease:
- "Fitolavin-300". The treatment solution is prepared on the basis of 20 ml of the drug and 10 liters of water. Spraying is made twice, with a frequency of 2 weeks.
- "Fitosporin". Preparation of working solution: take a bucket filled with water, dissolve 5 grams of powder in it. Spray every 10 days until the symptoms disappear completely.
- A solution based on copper sulphate or Bordeaux mixture. Any copper-containing remedy will help to cure plants from the disease. The solution based on copper sulphate is prepared on the basis of 100 grams of the substance and 10 liters of water. Preparation of Bordeaux mixture: dissolve 100 grams of copper sulfate and 120 grams of quicklime in a bucket of water.
Solutions based on copper-containing substances, apply no more than 2 times per season. Do not exceed the concentration of the drug, so as not to burn the leaves on the plants.
Choose varieties resistant to bacterial diseases. These tomatoes include hybrids:
- "Charisma F1".
- "Vologda F1".
- "Firebird F1".
- "Ural F1".
- "Boheme F1".
- Spartak F1.
- "Virtuoso F1".
In order not to waste forces on the treatment of tomatoes from bacterial mottling, make the following preventive measures:
- soak the seed before planting in: one-percent potassium permanganate or solution based on "Fitosporin", "Fitolavin-300";
- disinfect garden tools that you use in caring for tomatoes;
- spill disinfectant solutions primer. It is best to use the biological drug "Fitosporin" (10 liters of solution per 1 m²).
Also do not forget to observe the regime of watering and timely feed the tomatoes. The more stable the tomatoes, the less likely the plant will succumb to the attacks of various harmful bacteria.