All loved tomatoes are very sensitive to watering and just die in dry soil. How to get a decent harvest of vegetables, if there is no time or opportunity for this? Tips and recommendations of gardeners who tried to put into practice the method of growing tomatoes without glaze, will help amateur vegetable growers to get the maximum yield with maximum costs.
Rules for growing without watering
- when planting seedlings on a permanent place, you should pinch off all the leaves, leaving 2-3 apical;
- when planting a young tomato seedling into the soil, the depth of its planting should not exceed 6 cm;
- in the case of exposure of the roots when transplanting seedlings, use a clay talker to preserve moisture;
- after embedding in the soil of young bushes, be sure to use mulch with a layer of at least 15 cm, sprinkling it in the process of vegetation three times.
The biggest mistake in the cultivation of tomato is that each gardener tries to excessively moisten the soil under the plants. If the roots of seedlings often receive water - they do not show activity, growing only 25-35 cm over the season.
Thanks to the research of biologists, it turned out that the plant roots acutely feel a drop in moisture in the soil, reaching the point where it is elevated. Therefore, leaving the tomatoes without watering, they are given the opportunity to extend their root rod to a depth of two meters. The plant begins to independently obtain for itself the necessary moisture from groundwater.
The method of cultivation of tomato without watering may seem rather doubtful. However, according to the gardeners who applied it in practice, a successful result is guaranteed.
- Having pinched all the lower leaves on the young seedlings, leave 3 apical.
- Dig holes 30-40 cm deep, add 15 g of superphosphate and 15 g of potassium to each.
- Seedlings planted under the slope of the apical part to the north.
- Planted plants watered abundantly, adding 6-7 liters of water under each bush. Tie up to stakes.
- Lay the mulch, which may consist of: straw, hay, last year's foliage, freshly cut grass, mixed with saltwood nitre of sawdust, well-rotten, crumbly mullein. The covering layer should be 15-30 cm.
After full survival of the seedlings, the plants without watering will begin to actively seek means for survival, blowing the root stem deeper and deeper.
The main thing in the period before the start of pouring the fruit is not to water the tomatoes, but be patient, wait for the process of their active growth! After two weeks, the tomatoes will begin to restore the faded vegetative mass, expanding before our eyes.
- saving water and labor;
- sugar increase in fruits.
- delayed vegetable ripening for 2-2.5 weeks.
No seedling method
- Sowing vegetable seeds to produce in the first decade of May on the prepared furrows.
- After regrowth on the plants of the second or third pair of true leaves, thin the crops, leaving one seedling for every 50 cm.
- Ridges of tomatoes mulch foliage or weeds, do not water until the formation of fruits.
With this method of growing, the taproot will germinate to the maximum depth, self-sustainingly providing itself with water.
- building a powerful root system;
- resistance to drought and disease.
- the need for a large number of seeds.
Popular drought resistant varieties
Breeders withdrawn drought-resistant hybrids and varieties that develop a powerful root system. Such tomatoes will be an excellent option when choosing a variety for cultivation without watering:
- Pink Elephant;
- Miracle of the Earth;
- Hector F1;
- Petraross F1;
- Pink Andromeda F1;
Gardeners who have tried the “dry law” method share their impressions for a tomato:
Last year, she conducted an experiment: some of the tomatoes watered, as usual, and for 30 bushes she decided to apply the “dry law”. Not pouring water under the bushes until the beginning of ripening. As a result, the tomatoes were slightly smaller irrigated, but had an unsurpassed taste. And the juice of them turned out to be more saturated and sweet!
My husband and I bought a cottage. On which there was not even a well. But I wanted to grow something! After reviewing the Internet about non-standard approaches to agricultural technology, I came across an article by the author Kazarin about root stimulation. I admit, my husband said that I was crazy and I wasted my strength.
With the onset of heat the young seedlings suffered greatly. However, after a while the bushes came to life and grew. At the end of the summer we began to collect fruits - fleshy, dense and sweet. Neighbors, seeing my dry beds with a decent harvest, now also grow vegetables in this way.
When there is no opportunity and time to give the garden enough time, the method of growing tomatoes without watering is a successful experiment without much effort.