A tomato is a wonderful vegetable that produces both tomatoes and potatoes. Above the creation of "2in1" worked agronomists from New Zealand and the UK. The result exceeded all expectations. Scientists have managed to combine the "bottom" (potatoes) and "top" (tomato). Ordinary tomatoes grow on the stem, and potato tubers form on the root system.
Characteristics and description of the plant
There is no clear description of “Tomato”. External parameters depend on the varieties of tomato and potato, which are crossed. We give the general characteristics of a strange plant. Leaves on hybrid vegetable culture Tomato type, saturated green color. The shape, color, weight of the fruit depends on the grafted tomato. Tomato weight can be as much as 20 grams or as high as 800 grams. 8-12 potatoes are formed under the bush. One fruit reaches a mass of 100-150 grams. The persistence and taste of potatoes again depend on the variety. The average yield per plant is 2.5-3 kilograms of potatoes and 5-6 kilograms of tomatoes.
It is possible to grow "Pomidofel" in any corner of Russia. Use potatoes and tomatoes can be for cooking various dishes, there are no restrictions. Grown fruits are suitable for long-term storage. During the crossing, the breeders feared that the poisonous substance from the potato tops could appear in the fruits of the tomato. After numerous laboratory studies, the assumptions were dispelled. The maximum allowable concentration of corned beef in tomatoes did not exceed the norm.
Vegetable culture is highly immune to diseases fungal and viral origin. Pests grow roots on plants extremely rarely. The Colorado potato beetle does not settle because of the smell of tomato tops that scare them away. Improper care of the plant can attract aphids, spider mites, thrips. You can get rid of them with the help of chemicals: "Fitoverm", "Aktara", "Fufanon".
Advantages and disadvantages of Tomato
The benefits include:
- planting "Tomato" allows you to save space on the site, due to the concentration of two plants in one place. That is, one vegetable is planted, and the crop is harvested as of two;
- tomato-potato is an exclusive plant, therefore it is appreciated among gardeners;
- yields are high, despite the fact that tomatoes need to spend energy on the formation of potato and tomato tubers;
- fruits are stored for a long period;
- the taste of tomatoes and potatoes are at the highest level;
- You can grow in any climatic conditions.
Disadvantages of "Tomato":
- because of the difficulty of crossing, the cost of a seedling is very high;
- To form two crops, the plant needs a large amount of nutrients. Therefore, you need a lot of time and money fertilization;
- Growing "Tomato" is possible only by grafting a tomato stem and root system of potatoes.
Tomato and potato grafting steps:
- In order to copulate, you will need to grow seedlings of any sort of tomato that you would like to get, plant potatoes in bulk pots, sprout it.
- The stems of both plants must reach a diameter of 1 cm.
- Make at the same angle cuts on the stems of tomato and potatoes. The shape of the cut should resemble a V-shape.
- The upper part of the potato and the lower part of the tomato is not needed.
- Cut the stem of a tomato very tightly into the cut of the stalk of the potato. To fix the stems, use a medical adhesive plaster.
When fixing the stems, make sure that they are tight to each other. If they are in a free state, sap flow will not begin and the tomato stem will dry.
Planted plants need in the spring when the stems are soft and it will be easier to adapt to new conditions. At first, the tomato stalk will wither, but if the procedure is done correctly, in a few days the sap flow will be adjusted and the tomato will rise.
The process of adaptation of potatoes and tomatoes will take at least two weeks from the moment of vaccination. After that, the crossed plant needs to be transplanted from the pot, where “Tomato” grew, into the open ground.
Stages of retraction:
- Moisten the potted soil so that the plant can be easily removed.
- Dig a hole in accordance with the size of the container in which the “Tomato” grows.
- To each well add 50 grams of wood ash, 5 grams of saltpeter. Place the bushes from the pot in the hole, sprinkle them with soil, pour water, cover with agrofibre.
- A week after planting in open ground, remove the agrofibre and adhesive tape from the junction of the stems.
Adhesive plaster removed only after the complete accretion of the stems of potatoes and tomatoes. If the stalks have grown together poorly, they are again fastened with a plaster for several weeks.
Care for "Tomato"
Transplanted bushes begin to bloom after 5-8 days.
The main care guidelines include:
- Constant loosening of the soil in the garden with plants. Soil crust formation should not be allowed. Therefore, loosen at least every 7-10 days.
- Moderate watering. The frequency of watering depends on the climatic conditions where you will grow "Tomato". An indicator that it is time to irrigate is the drying of the soil. A prolonged drought has a bad effect on the development of plants, so try to water it on time. It is also not necessary to overuse vegetable crops to avoid rotting of roots and tubers.
- Fertilizer is applied three times per season. The first feeding is done during planting, it must contain nitrogen and potassium. The second wave of fertilization occurs at the time of tying the buds and flowers, use a liquid fertilizer. To prepare the working solution, you will need to dissolve 20 grams of superphosphate in ten liters of water. You need to water each bush at the root, 2 liters. The third dressing is carried out in the period of fruit set, use potassium sulfate and superphosphate as fertilizers. A working solution is prepared based on 20 grams of superphosphate and 20 grams of potassium sulfate and 10 liters of water.
- Treat plants from pests.
Inessa Nikolaevna, 45 years old, Kursk region.
Read about "Tomato" in a scientific journal. The idea to grow caught fire immediately. I did not plant the plants myself, I ordered a couple of bushes at the breeding station. They sent them in special containers. Planted the plants immediately, settled down quickly. After a few months of leaving, I started picking tomatoes. When the tomatoes are completely “moved away”, dug up the potatoes. I want to say that the taste of the fruit is no different from the usual vegetable crops that grow separately. Next year I will order and plant more “Tomato”, and maybe I'll try to plant the plants myself.
Mikhail Dmitrievich, 53 years old, Rostov region.
“Tomato” was planted last year, and it was purchased from his familiar breeder, who constantly crosses various vegetable crops. The idea of growing one plant so that you can harvest two crops, I immediately liked. With one square meter I managed to collect 20 kilograms of tomato and 12 kilograms of potatoes, to which I was incredibly happy.