Growing tomatoes, very often on the fruits you can see weeping spots of gray-black color, and soon the rot covers the whole tomato. The culprit for this trouble is watery rot - a dangerous infection that is very difficult to get rid of.
The most susceptible to infection are tomatoes, which are cultivated in the soil. Sources of infection can be:
- soil, which is the habitat of pathogenic microorganisms;
- infected post-harvest residues, in which bacteria remain, continue to live up to seven years;
- elevated temperature regimes, air humidity over 75%. When humidity is below 60% of the disease is not;
- an excess of nitrogen in the soil increases the susceptibility of tomatoes to infection;
- vector-parasites: aphid, cicadas, stem flies, greenhouse whitefly. Pests acquire the virus in seconds, maintaining the ability of transmission from two to five days;
- drops of water, in which dormant bacteria live, when they hit tomato leaves from infected sources: rivers, ponds, lakes.
The first signs of infection are:
- wilting stems;
- the manifestation on the fruits of transparent watery spots of dark gray color;
- cracking of tomatoes in the place of formation of watery pelesin, the appearance of fluffy spore plaque;
- softening of the fetus, unpleasant putrid odor;
- complete decomposition of the tomato flesh infection, in which only the skin remains intact.
If you find the first signs of wet rot on tomatoes, in order to avoid contamination of all fruits, you should cut off all red and brown tomatoes. And then carry out spraying preparations.
Unfortunately, chemical chemists have not invented a spectacular tool that would completely destroy the harmful microorganisms of wet rot. Therefore, if the infection still reached the tomato plantings, the tomato crop will be below the average.
At the same time remember that folk remedies with natural fungicides will simply be powerless against this disease. After all, bacteria have one hundred percent resistance to phytoncides of onion, garlic, bitter pepper. Therefore, to destroy infected plants, carefully going through the already collected ripe fruit. And in the future to comply with all preventive methods to avoid infection. At the initial stage of development of pathology on tomatoes, tomatoes can be saved.
Antibiotics against wet rot
The only way to save tomatoes is to use pharmacy antibiotics. After all, good anti-inflammatory drugs for plants do not exist. In specialized stores you can find only the means for the prevention and the initial stage of the manifestation of infection - Fitosporin, Fundazol, Gamair. The effect of drugs to destroy viruses begins only 10-15 days after falling on the foliage of tomatoes. And after this time, the plants can be completely infected with the infection, and there will be no sense from the work.
At elevated air temperatures and humidity, the bacteria multiply rapidly and it is impossible to wait if the fungicides will work. In this case, antibiotics are used to treat a person. The following preparations showed a good bactericidal effect when used on tomatoes:
The preparations are compatible with Fitosporin and Fundazol disinfectants; therefore, their solutions should be mixed for preventive spraying and treatment of wet rot. Spraying antibiotics hold three times with a fresh solution. Diluted liquid shed the soil under the tomatoes. However, it is worth remembering that treating the soil with antibiotics two or three times will result in the death of all beneficial microorganisms.
A decade ago, control measures based on the use of plantomycin were carried out on home gardens in Germany and Holland. The drug when spraying the soil under the tomatoes in the first year inhibited the development of wet rot infection, and in the following years completely destroyed it.
Control measures to prevent the disease should be taken in advance:
- in order not to create conditions for the spread of infection, not to exceed the permissible dose of nitrogen-containing fertilizers, increasing the amount of potassium and phosphorus introduced;
- for planting use only resistant tomato hybridshealthy seedlings;
- the whole cultivation season to use biological remedies and immunostimulants;
- conduct autumn soil treatment with bleach, formalin solution;
- to fight insect vectors: placing special trap tapes, sprinkling tomatoes with insecticide preparations;
- handle garden tools with alcohol or bleach solution;
- carry out preventive treatment of seedlings, seed material preparation "Previkur."
It often happens that any antibiotic intervention can no longer help the plants. As under conditions of high humidity, wet rot infection spreads quickly, infecting more tomatoes. Therefore, for planting without the risk of infection in the future, choose resistant hybrids of tomatoes like:
- Hummingbird F1.
- Bagheera F1.
- KS 18 F1.
- Pietra Rossa F1.
- Littano F1.
- Solerosso F1.
- Hybrid Tarasenko 2.
- Andromeda F1.
- Classic F1.
- Ivanhoe F1.
- Tarpan F1.
By performing the necessary preventive actions aimed at preventing the development of wet rot infection, it is possible to protect the tomatoes from the disease, as well as to collect a good harvest of fruits.