In our progressive age, the attitude of gardeners to popular methods is often skeptical. However, in some cases, even experienced gardeners recognize the effectiveness of old, proven tools. Such procedures include the treatment of currant bushes with boiling water. However, this should be done correctly, given certain nuances.
How does boiling water affect the growth of currants - the principle of action and benefits
First of all, the heat treatment of currants is aimed at the destruction of kidney mites - the most dangerous pests that not only have a detrimental effect on the development of the kidneys, but also tolerate a severe viral disease - terry. High temperature water helps to exterminate mites (as well as aphids and powdery mildew fungus).
In addition, pouring boiling water has a positive effect on:
- plant immunity;
- adaptation to temperature extremes;
- pace of kidney arousal;
- increase in the number of peduncles.
Subject to this procedure can be as black and red, white and yellow currants, which, although less, but also subject to tick infestation.
The most important thing when heat-treating bushes is to remember to observe the terms and rules for its implementation.
The time of the procedure
Hot water can cause plant burns. It is strictly forbidden to carry out the procedure during the active growing season, when buds are already blooming. Beginner gardeners should remember that sap flow in currants begins very early. The exact timing of watering is difficult to call, usually it is March. The best temporary guideline will be the beginning of active melting of snow, which in some cases is still lying in the garden, and the height of the cover is 5-10 cm.
At the same time, it is not recommended to pour boiling water over the currant during the autumn period, since after harvest the buds are tightly closed with a protective cover, which makes the procedure meaningless.
In no case should not water the bushes with hot water in the summer, it can destroy currants.
To achieve the greatest efficiency of the procedure, you should familiarize yourself with the detailed algorithm of its implementation.
First of all, you need to prepare in advance a place where water will be boiled, as well as buckets, a watering can and a thermometer. The latter is necessary to determine the temperature of the water, as watering the bushes with boiling water may cause the plant to burn, and too low a temperature of the water will not give the desired result.
There are also certain requirements for watering. It should be metal, with a small strainer. Using plastic counterparts is risky, they can be deformed.
The heat treatment process is as follows:
- Shrubs are prepared for watering, making sanitary pruning and removal of diseased kidneys.
- Roots that are too close to the surface of the ground, covered with boards or sprinkled with earth.
- Too sprawling bushes can be tied with twine for ease of processing.
- Water is boiled in a bucket, quickly taken out on the garden bed and poured into a watering can. You can add some potassium permanganate or copper sulfate to the liquid for additional disinfection.
- The thermometer checks the temperature, which should be in the range of 70-80 ° C.
- The branches are evenly watered up and down with the watering can. Do not stay in one place for more than 5 seconds, so as not to damage the kidneys.
Watering with boiling water is a simple exercise, but able to save currants from dangerous pests, because a healthy plant is a guarantee of a good harvest.