At the beginning of the growing season, tomato seedlings receive all the necessary nutrients from the substrate. If the soil contains few microelements and vitamins for the embryo, weak shoots appear. The legs are thin, the leaves are small, spotted or twisted up and down. To prevent such defects, fertilizer must be added to the earth mixture. For this you can use complex chemical preparations or simple folk remedies.
The density and thickness of the main stem of the seedlings of tomatoes are also affected by the lack or excess of lighting. This problem is not difficult to fix. You need to move the container with seedlings to a more suitable place.
Finding out what the plant lacks in the soil will be more difficult. If the soil mixture is purchased at the store, the list of all substances and trace elements that are included in it is indicated on the packaging. But if the land was taken in its own garden, it is almost impossible to determine its composition.
In the composition of the garden land there are few nutrients that are necessary for the cultivation of tomato seedlings. Before sowing seeds it needs to be enriched.
The enriched land feeds tomato seeds before the pick. Feed them in this period should not be. When planting seedlings new fertilizer is also fertilized. It should be borne in mind that nitrogen-containing substances actively influence the growth of leaves and stems, but slow down the development of the root system. Use mixtures that contain an equal amount of mineral additives: nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium.
Further fertilizing is done not earlier than 2 weeks after the pick. Depending on the rate of growth of seedlings, the intervals between fertilizers increase or decrease. Terms of fertilizer can vary from 2-3 times a week to 2 times a month.
With intensive growth of green mass, the dosage of nitrogen additives is reduced. At this time, it is better to use means that activate the development of roots.
Practical experience of gardeners convinces that it is possible to grow tomato seedlings with a strong and thick leg, using long-tried methods. At the initial stage of the growing season this will be enough.
Infusion of onion peel:
- 80-100 g of husk (2 handfuls) are placed in a liter container;
- pour water (temperature up to + 70-80 ° C);
- insist 24 hours, filter;
- watering seedlings at the root 1-2 times a week.
- 1 glass of wood ash poured 8 liters of warm water;
- incubated for 24 hours, filtered;
- The infusion is added to water for irrigation at a concentration of 1: 2 (for seedlings).
Ash can sprinkle the earth around the roots of the plant. With each watering, it will gradually feed the seedlings. The trunk of the seedling will become stronger and squat, the leaves will no longer curl and turn yellow.
At the age of 2 months, seedlings will require more effective means. It is necessary to begin feeding biological or chemical additives.
Analysis of the composition of the soil is carried out in special laboratories.For gardeners it is quite difficult and expensive. It will be easier to buy in-store products that contain most of the trace elements needed by plants. These substances will nourish the seedlings and compensate for the lack of precisely those elements that they lack.
The three main substances that affect the growth of strong seedlings with a thick stem are nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium. Magnesium, calcium and manganese contribute to the assimilation of the main elements, improve metabolism and regulate the accumulation of water in plant cells. Iron, boron, copper and zinc also affect tomato growth positively.
- Chicken litter. Pellets in bags. 1 tbsp. dissolve a spoon in 1 liter of water, leave for a day, dilute the mixture obtained in 10 liters. Water the seedlings 1-3 times a week.
- Nitroammofosk. Granular substance in the package. On a ten-liter bucket take 20-30 g, mix until dissolved. Water under the root after soil moisture. For seedlings of tomatoes will be enough once every 3-4 days.
- "Sturdy." Powdered agent. Strengthens the growth of roots, leaves and stems. After 2-3 weeks after application, the main stem of the seedlings becomes more dense, the leaves become an intense green color without yellowing.
Ways of using chemicals are indicated on the packaging. Do not exceed the number and concentration of solutions.
The further development of the whole plant depends on the strength of the trunk of tomato seedlings. On a thick elastic stalk large and tasty fruits will ripen. Tomatoes will not fall to the ground. They are not difficult to care for: watering, loosen the ground, remove weeds. The pledge of excellent yield - timely and early feeding of the plant with necessary nutrients.