We grow tomatoes without extra effort and expense
The reason why gardeners use simple methods of growing tomatoes without extra effort and expense is the lack of time. It is especially acute for young families with small children.
If you simplify all processes: sowing seeds, picking, transplanting into the ground, you can save a lot of time. Novice gardeners do not have sufficient funds for the construction of greenhouses and greenhouses. They get their first experience by growing vegetables, berries, and fruits in the open field. Apply for warming beds improvised or inexpensive purchased materials.
Simplify the simple
We would like to simplify our garden works not only young, but sick people, pensioners. Here ingenuity, fantasy, tips of "lazy" plant growers will be useful. These gardeners know how to make the simplest methods even easier. Following their recommendations can significantly reduce the time for planting and caring for seedlings. Save strength for other more important family responsibilities.
Suppose a gardener decided to grow tomato seedlings on his own. There are a huge number of varieties and hybrids of tomatoes. They differ in different ways: in terms of ripening, fruit color, yield, methods of care for seedlings and adult plants. If gardeners are just still mastering the "basics" of crop production, you need to choose the seeds of those varieties with which it will be easier to work. They should not create unnecessary problems. Therefore, we choose varieties for the following characteristics:
- conditions - for cultivation in an open ground;
- attitude to diseases - a high degree of resistance to many diseases of tomatoes;
- ripening dates - early or medium;
- care - not requiring the removal of stepsons;
- structure - bushes undersized or medium height, that is, not requiring a garter to the supports;
- yield - medium or high.
From the selection of a number of varieties of tomatoes, there will surely be those that meet all these requirements. Gardeners will be exempt from many problems. Purchasing seeds is easy:
- buy in a store or on the market;
- order delivery via the Internet;
- prepare yourself;
- borrow from relatives, friends, acquaintances.
The shelf life of tomato seeds should not exceed 2-3 years. In hybrids such storage is not provided. Their seeds are collected in the fall, and planted on seedlings as early as January-March of the following year.
Soil and Seat Preparation
Young gardeners often do not have enough money to buy ready-made greenhouses, and not enough experience to make them themselves. They grow tomatoes in open beds. You can simplify this task:
- Dig the ground and form the beds better in the spring. At this time, it is easy to clean the garden from dry grass. Collect it in one pile and burn it.
- The land in April-May is soft and supple. After winter, the upper clods of soil disintegrate almost without effort. Of the tools will only need shovels and rakes. No need to hoe the area and remove even strong weeds, as is done in the fall.
- There are a few steps to do: dig a plot designated for planting tomatoes, flatten it with a rake, breaking up clods of earth.Dig holes at a distance of 50-70 cm from each other, and up to 80 cm between rows.
- Chemical fertilizers and organic make a little, in each well. This is done to reduce the cost of purchasing and transporting expensive organic fertilizer (manure).
On new suburban areas, the soil is heavy, it is difficult to dig by hand and takes a lot of time. On such lands, to facilitate labor, it is better to use mechanized plowing with a tractor and a cultivator. Holes can be made with a drill.
When sowing tomato seeds can reduce the time and cost.
- Do not buy ready-made earthen mixtures in stores, but prepare them yourself from 3 parts of garden soil, 1 part of humus and sand.
- Use handy tools for containers: old plastic boxes, bottles and cups, bags made of polyethylene.
- Perform simple steps: fill the containers with the substrate, 2-3 times with a break of 1 day, shed it with a solution of potassium permanganate, hydrogen peroxide or furatsilina. Sow the seeds in the grooves 1-2 cm deep, or sketch them loose. Sprinkle with a 1 cm layer of earth on top. Close the container with plastic wrap or glass, put a warm shaded place.
After 7-10 days, when the first shoots appear, remove the polyethylene and put the seedlings closer to the light.
Some gardeners completely exclude this manipulation from the process of growing seedlings of tomatoes. They sow the seeds immediately in fairly bulky containers (up to 3-5 liters). For safety can be placed in a container of 2-3 seeds of tomatoes.
If nevertheless it is necessary to make a picking, simplify this action:
- Place all individual cups on a low tray. So it will be convenient to pour the substrate;
- water the land once with hot water (temperature about 70 ° C);
- After 1-2 hours, when the earth has cooled, make a dimple in each glass. Carefully transfer the sprouts with a lump of earth to a new place. To stabilize a tomato seedling, press down the substrate near the foot with your fingers;
- water the plant with warm water with the addition of a growth enhancer.
A pick of shoots is carried out after the appearance of 2-3 leaves on a bush. No need to delay too much. The roots of seedlings will begin to grow rapidly, fill all the space in the ground and tangle. Subsequently, they are very difficult to separate.
Transplant into the ground
Tomato seedlings are planted on open beds in May-June, when there is no risk of returning spring frosts. The wells are prepared a week before transplantation. The soil they need to shed strong solution of disinfectants for 2-3 days before planting seedlings.
The simplest method would be transshipment of bushes from the former tank into prepared wells:
- first seedlings watered;
- cut plastic cups or bags;
- take out a bush along with a clod of earth;
- set in the pits with a slight bias to the south;
- fall asleep plant slightly compacted the ground near the roots.
The final step will be watering and mulching. For mulch it is better to use straw, wood bark or sawdust. These materials retain moisture well and for a long time near tomato bushes. Therefore, the frequency of watering can be reduced to a minimum (once a week).
Bark and sawdust need to scald with boiling water for disinfection. When cool, you can expand them not only next to the bush, but cover the entire tomato garden.
The main part of the required amount of fertilizer is applied during spring planting. Tomatoes are fed 3-4 times per season (1-2 times per month). To reduce the time for this operation, combine it with watering. A good feed will be a "talker" of cow or bird dung.
If there are no such additives, you can soak ordinary fresh grass in water. Put the barrel in a sunny place. Withstand before fermentation (7-10 days). Free fertilizer is ready - you can water them not only tomatoes, but also other garden crops.
Reliable and effective is considered to be drip irrigation method of vegetable crops.However, not all gardeners are able to build such a system. Buy finished parts is simple, but not profitable. Savvy gardeners have found a cheaper way to continuously supply seedlings with water.
We need empty 1.5 or 2-liter plastic bottles with a cut off bottom. During the winter they can be collected enough:
- 2-3 small punctures are made in the covers with a sewing needle;
- a closed bottle is buried in a garden with tomatoes between the bushes (1 capacity - for 3-4 plants) with the neck into the ground;
- water is poured to the top. So that the moisture does not evaporate for a long time, they cover it with a cut off bottom.
Such a system will provide water for tomato seedlings for a long time. The greater the volume of the bottle, the longer gardeners can not worry about watering. This simplifies the process and reduces the time gardeners spend on frequent trips out of town.
You can use the bottle for several seasons. No need to leave them in the ground for the winter. After the end of the season, they are taken out of the ground, washed, and clean the holes. You can store in a barn or in a country house.
Stepson - an extra bone that constantly appears on the bushes of tomatoes throughout the growing season. Remove stepchildren need, but not necessarily all. In varieties of tomatoes, which initially do not need to remove the stepsons, they also exist. Get better seeds of such varieties and hybrids. They have these stepchildren do not grow as actively as other tomatoes.
It will take only 1-2 times to inspect the bushes, remove shoots up to 10 cm long. The plant will stop wasting water and nutrients on their growth. Will form more fruit ovaries.
Tomatoes ripen non-simultaneously. Have to remove the fruits of 2-4 pieces from the bush at a time. Gardeners use one way. As soon as the first tomatoes begin to blush, they lift the whole bush out of the ground. Do this as follows:
- grab the lower part of the plant;
- carefully, but with a little effort, they pull the bush out of the ground by 5-10 cm.
It does not hurt tomatoes, but small roots will break. Energy seedlings will not be spent on the restoration and growth of new roots. All their powers are activated on the fruits. After 7-10 days all the tomatoes on the bushes will turn red, with a few exceptions of the smallest and greenest fruits.
At this time, you can harvest in just one approach. You can eat the most ripe tomatoes, make winter preparations from them. Brown fruits are sent to a warm and dark place for ripening. Thrifty gardeners do not leave even a green trifle. From it prepare various preservatives, and even jam.
Simple and simple methods of growing tomatoes save time and money. Without unnecessary trouble in the open field you can grow a lot of fruits of good quality and taste. If you do not have enough time to complete small parts in the care of plants, you need to be smart to simplify them. All in your hands.