The technology of planting potatoes according to the method of Mitlider known domestic cottagers for a long time. Its author, an American farmer, agronomist and scientist D. Mitlider, set the task of harvesting high yields of vegetables with minimal time expenditures. Russian gardeners practice the method using the whole system or only some of its provisions, often combining it with traditional agricultural techniques. The method allows you to grow potatoes in small suburban areas and at the same time get a great harvest.
- The essence of the method
- Advantages and disadvantages of technology
- Planting potatoes according to Mietlayder: features
- Agrotehnika by Metlider
The essence of the method
- providing plants with good light;
- good nutrition;
- regular watering.
At the same time, part of the usual methods of growing potatoes (loosening, harrowing, hilling) are not used in this method. The technology is flexible, so it is easy to adapt it for different areas, taking into account the peculiarities of the soil, topography, location.
The technology of Mitlider is often called the technology of “narrow beds”, because it is based on a special garden arrangement. A plot of land intended for the cultivation of potatoes is divided into ridges with a wide space between them. In areas with complex terrain and a specific type of soil is used instead of the bulk of the ridges of the duct.
Scientists have developed systems for fertilization, irrigation, tillage, procedures for preparing tubers for planting. There are a lot of nuances, and they need to be taken into account, otherwise there will be no conceived results.
Practitioners note that the most difficult is the first year, since it is necessary to plan the site, prepare the ground, break the ridge. But then it will be simpler and easier, since the layout is not changed, the wide inter-rows obtained do not dig up.
Advantages and disadvantages of technology
The method proposed by the American agronomist is designed for use in various climatic conditions. Given that potatoes are grown everywhere in Russia, the method is shown for the middle zone, the North-West, the Urals, and Siberia.
- increase in tuber collection rates. With proper dressings and watering, about 15–20% more potatoes are harvested from narrow mitlider ridges than from ordinary plots;
- the ability to cultivate crops on any soil;
- exclusion of some agrotechnical methods, saving time and effort in caring for plantings;
- easy care;
- the opportunity to get a decent result even in small “six-hundred-meter” suburban areas.
- the technology is not suitable for shaded areas;
- You will need to purchase a large amount of various mineral fertilizers. But financial costs are paid off by high crop yields;
- The result is obtained only with the exact observance of all elements of the system: the size of the ridges, the spacing, the norms for applying additional fertilizers, the volume of irrigation.
Planting potatoes according to Mietlayder: features
The technology includes several techniques, among which is the arrangement of special ridges for potatoes.
- for soils with a high content of calcium salts (alkaline) make up a mixture with a base of gypsum (5 kg), complex fertilizer nitroammofoski (2.5 kg), boric acid (35 grams);
- For soils with high acidity, a different composition is prepared: 5 kg of dolomite flour, 2.5 kg of nitroammofoski, 35 grams of boric acid.
Preparation of beds
The relief of the territory should be even, because on the slopes of the plant receive a different amount of fertilizer and moisture, therefore, develop unevenly.
- the markings are made in spring using pegs and a rope;
- note the outlines of the ridges, measuring out 9 meters in length and 45 cm in breadth;
- placement of landings - from south to north;
- the interval between future plantings is 105 cm. If it is not possible to leave such row-spacings, the width is reduced to 80 cm, but no more.
In the beds of the land do the bumpers, which clearly distinguish between the landing site and the aisle. Other gardeners prefer to build a special wooden boxes, where poured nutrient soil. The height of the wooden or slate sides is 30 or 40 cm.
Owners of hilly terrain sites will need to equip the ridges on the slopes in the form of platforms or steps. If it is impossible to build a specified length (9 meters), break it into shorter sections, keeping the width of the landing site and the width of the row spacing.
The dimensions specified in the technology do not change. Otherwise, the essence of the method is violated, the plants are in a depressed state and do not show the necessary result.
Wide aisles allow the culture to provide uniform sunlight, nutrition, freedom in growth. There is an intensive growth, development, which has a good effect on the development of tubers and, accordingly, the yield.
Preparation of potato tubers for planting
The scientist recommends germinating the tubers in sawdust (about a week before planting). In Russia, the most common practice is the sprouting of potatoes, getting them out of the cellars and storage facilities in about 20-25 days.
Selected tubers are disinfected in a pink solution of potassium permanganate, soaked in any growth promoter (according to the instructions). To feed and stimulate growth, a tablespoon of wood ash, humus or special biohumus is placed in the well.
Tubers are planted in the wells located on ridges in a staggered manner. Distances:
- between the holes - 30 cm;
- depth - 10-14 cm.
Choice of potato varieties
Planting by mitlider method does not limit the choice of varieties of culture. Absolutely all varieties and hybrids are suitable for technology. Consider:
- ripening time;
- keeping quality (for varieties intended for storage);
- taste qualities;
- recommendations of breeders on zoning.
Agrotehnika by Metlider
Ogorodnikov in the methodology attracts the reduction of labor-intensive activities:
Due to the special arrangement of the site, the tubers sufficiently receive oxygen, nutrition, moisture. The plants roots are comfortable and warm, the plants do not need additional sprinkling of the earth and crests. Formed by 8-12 large tubers per bush, no detail.
Watering: technology specifics
In traditional potato cultivation technology, not much attention is paid to irrigation. Typically, the culture lacks moisture from precipitation, if necessary, in dry seasons, conduct additional irrigation.
According to this method, potatoes in boxes or on narrow ridges are watered every day (less often - every other day). Per square meter is required to make 1-2 buckets of water, taking into account the type of soil, plant condition, weather conditions.Irrigated in the center of the ridge, providing uniform access of moisture to all plants. Such frequent irrigation is necessary for the complete dissolution of fertilizers.
In the conditions of most of the Russian regions, gardeners use mulching plantings to create a culture of favorable conditions. Immediately after planting the tubers on the beds lay a layer of straw (up to 10-12 cm). It accumulates moisture and heat for the root system of plants, does not allow weeds to grow. Gardeners note that shoots on such “warmed” ridges appear faster.
In addition to straw, potatoes are used for mulching:
- bark (it is previously crushed);
- rotten compost;
During the season, mulch is poured, as with irrigation, fertilization, some of the residues overheat and “go” into the ground. Usually maintain a layer in 8-12 cm.
In addition to the narrow beds, the main postulate of the Mietlider method is an ordered feeding of potatoes with mixtures of mineral fertilizers. This provision is not perceived by supporters of organic farming, although according to the method, all norms are calculated taking into account the nutritional needs of plants.
When the dosages are observed, the soil is not oversaturated with “chemistry”, the potato gets exactly balanced nutrition, which leads to high yields. The experience of vegetable growers in different countries, including Russian summer residents, is convincing. But it must be remembered that with any violations of fertilizer norms, as well as in bad climatic conditions (prolonged rains, lack of sunlight), the system can fail.
Two types of feedings are recommended in the form of nutrient mixtures:
- The basis is nitroammofosc (the norm is 2.5 kg), then the following components are added: 430 grams of magnesium, the same amount of potassium sulfate, 13 grams of molybdenum and boric acid, 640 grams of ammonium nitrate;
- The second mixture includes the minimum standards of components: urea (950 grams), magnesium sulfate (430 grams), dolomite flour (430 grams), ammophos (550 grams), boron and molybdenum in the amount of 13 grams each substance.
100 grams of fertilizer are applied per square meter of potato beds. In the same way as with the size of the ridges, it is necessary to observe the dosage in grams of each component.
- with the appearance of the first shoots of culture
- at the stage of vegetation at a plant height of 15-16 cm;
- at the initial stage of budding potatoes.
In the first two top dressings, a mixture with dolomite flour is used, in the third - a mixture of fertilizers with a nitroammofoska. Feed the potatoes in the center of the ridges, combining procedures with irrigation culture. The mixture is evenly distributed over the surface of the soil, then embedded in the soil.
Supporters of the use of organic supplements are encouraged to use high-quality manure, humus, well-rotten and matured compost. From potash and phosphorus additives suitable wood ash, onion peel extracts.
In the absence of crop rotation on the plot, crops are shown on the ridges of sideral crops:
Siderates help to enrich the soil with nutrients, oxygenation, better soil aeration. The cultivation of the garden is an important element of any agricultural technology, regardless of the technology used.
Also, agronomists advise to apply for herbal infusions of green herbs. To do this, in barrels or large tanks with ½ capacity, grass is laid (comfrey, dandelion, nettle), poured with water and left to ferment for 7-9 days. The composition of the added yeast, ash. After this time, the infusion is filtered, diluted with water 1: 5 and watered with the resulting solution of the bed with potatoes. Discarded grass is used for mulching.
Tubers are harvested in late summer or early fall, taking into account the specificity of the planted varieties and the conditions of the region.Early potato varieties are ready for harvest in early August, late ones (most often planted in the south) are harvested in October.
Lodging tops, yellowing of leaves - a signal that the culture is ready for harvest. Conduct a selective digging of several nests, and if the potatoes are ready, begin to harvest.
Planting potatoes using the well-known technology of Mitlider requires the gardener to comply with all the nuances of agricultural engineering. Performing exactly the provisions of the method, get high yields of tubers on limited areas. If there is no opportunity and time to comply with all recommendations, then it is better to use traditional options for growing potatoes.